While you're vacationing this summer at the beach, consider doing some exercise that you might not be able to do while you're away from the beach the remainder of the year. (No, lifting your margarita glass to your mouth is not counted as exercise!)
- Walk: Okay, so you can walk anywhere, but the barefoot, walking in warm sand sensation isn't felt everywhere else. Walk in the fluffy sand, then wander to the hard, wet sand near the surf.
- Run: Running in sand is a challenge as it requires more energy than walking on a hard surface. In fact, you burn 1.6 times more calories than you would on dry land.
- Horseback Riding: Some beaches allow for horseback riding along the ocean. Not only would this be a unique experience, riding is great for the core.
- Hill climbs: Some beaches feature wavy, tall dunes at the back of the beach. Try to climb as many as you can - we dare you not to break a sweat!
- Beach Volleyball or Frisbee: Bring some equipment with you and you can get a game of volleyball going, or you can find someone to throw the frisbee around with.
- Crab walks and crunches: So crabs might be found at some beaches, but we're talking about doing a crab walk on the beach, followed up by crunches. Here's a great video: