Tips to get stepping:
- Walk where you're comfortable: You don't need a track or treadmill to walk for exercise - just go around the block if that's where you're most comfortable! If you're a nature lover, why not take a walk in a local park or arboretum? Go wherever is convenient and comfortable for you.
- Wear proper attire: No special equipment needed to walk besides comfortable clothing and shoes. If the weather is a little fickle, you can layer your clothes before heading out and just remove layers if you need to as your walk goes on. For low-impact activities such as walking, the ENELL Lite bra is perfect.
- Start slow and short: You don't have to be a speedracer to get started, and you certainly don't need to set distance goals. Start at a comfortable pace and go for a distance that you feel good at. As someone who started going very slowly (probably around 2MPH) and just 1 time around the block, I know you might feel like you're not doing enough. Give it some time and gradually increase your distance and speed as you feel stronger. Even making it to the next mailbox from the day before is progress!
- Bring Fido (or a friend): Walking can be extremely social and great for everyone involved - pet or human. It is surprising how fast the walk will feel if you have someone to talk to the whole time. Although, you might want to stick to talking and walking with someone of the human and not canine variety if you don't want weird looks!
- Short on time but want to ramp it up? You can walk the same distance, but do so on a hilly terrain versus a flat piece of road. It will make the walk more challenging, without you having to go faster or for a longer amount of time.
Here are some more resources for getting started with walking for fitness: