Incorporating active rest days help in several ways:
- Increases blood flow to flush out built up lactic acid
- It helps to get your blood flowing, bringing oxygen and nutrients to muscles
- Promotes muscle recovery and reduces fatigue to then reduce the risk of injury
- Replaces glycogen stores
- Take at least 1 active rest day per week
- Do moderate activity for at least 20 minutes: You should be able to easily carry on a conversation during the activity
- Don't exceed 65% of your maximum heart rate. It's about getting blood flowing.
Personally, my favorite active rest activity is walking my dog. It's convenient and easy, and she seems to like it :)
What's your favorite active rest activity?